Monday 11 April 2016

Seeing the trees for the trees


I have almost finished my grafitti wall drawing.  I'm still not pleased with the rendering of the trees in the middle distance but happiest with the rooftops in the far distance.  I've got a little more work to do on this and will work in smaller bursts over the next few days, hopefully finishing it by the end of the week.

I've started a new drawing.  But I've not printed off my source material this time, I'm working directly from my photo on my tablet.  This has pros and cons.  One pro is that I can pinch into detail on the photo and indulge my obsessive delight in rendering an endless mess of detail into infinitum.  One con is that I can pinch into detail on the photo and indulge in my obsessive delight in rendering an endless mess of detail into infinitum.

An article in Arists & Illustrators last year mentioned that one of the drawbacks of working from photo's is that it tempts you (perhaps hypnotises would say it better) into rendering more than you would attempt to do if you are sitting directly in front of the subject.  This is true.  Sat infront of this riverside tree with all those tiny white buds just on the verge of bursting into life I would never have been so mesmerised by the detail into actually attempting to render it.  It's easy to get sidetracked into copying rather than capturing what it is about a thing that drew you to render it in whatever medium.

Too much detail = too little magic.  


I ordered some new nibs last week as my stock is running low (due to my habit of accidentally banging them into jars or dropping them when I'm tired).  I ordered some of my favourite Gillott 290 and also the fine Gillott 1290.  When it came I was alarmed as the tip of the nib is turned up and, to my eye, slightly splayed. When I contacted the supplier I was told that the nib is designed to be turned up at the tip.  I have been using it in my new drawing to render the tangle of fine branches at the bottom left of the picture, but I remain to be convinced that this is the shape this nib is intended to be.  The results are scratchy and not as fine as I expected.  I'll give it another try later and see how it progresses.

No comments: