Thursday 21 March 2013

RBSA Open All Media - Spring 2013

This drawing is more about my efforts to continue working at my art than it is any real aesthetic achievement.  G says 'keeping your eye in' and I don't really like that phrase because there's more than just an eye (or even 2) involved in creating a piece of visual art.  This one is about 30% visual, 10% ambition, 5% design and 55% will power.  (Think that adds up just) 

Today me and Mum took the train to Birmingham then the wind chased walk to the RBSA's gallery in the St Paul's area of Birmingham's jewellery quarter.  My drawing 'Blossom and Wire' is very lucky to have scrounged a place on the wall of this sunny gallery.  There is some very fine work on display at this year's Spring Open All Media.  There is much variety, from abstract painting to beautifully realised stone sculpture, there are artists books, a lovely concertina sketchbook, some beautiful textiles and textile sculpture, gorgeous painting in various media and some superbly accomplished drawings in media ranging from delicate graphite to an print from a drawing made on an ipad.  My drawing, not my best I am aware, is very lucky to share this space.

No comments: